This is an archive of audio production articles that I have written over the years, both new and old. Some are excerpts from my old e-column “The Pro Tools Corner” at audioMIDI.com, while others are written exclusively for this site. As always, take what works for you and leave the rest, feel free to use/abuse/modify/reject my ideas to create your own and share them back.
- Bass Management and Layered Kick Drum Sounds
- Having trouble hearing compression? Turn your monitors down.
- Mixing with Transient Shapers to control drum envelopes (video)
- MixTips #1 – EQ
- MixTips #2 – Saving Plug-in Favorites in Pro Tools
- MixTips #3 – Parallel Compression
- The importance of understanding a compressor’s threshold control (video)
- Understanding EQ: Hi and Lo-pass filters (video)
- Understanding sound waves: frequency and amplitude (video)
- Using gates and expanders to remove bleed from a drum kit (video)
- What is a Dynamics Processor? (video)
- Dear Sir/Madam, Please compensate for the delay of your Autotune.
- How many ways can you make change for a dollar?
- Is beat detective dead?
- Mixing for the first time listener
- You’ll spend your life waiting… (Rant)
- Your kick drum doesn’t really sound like that. Room acoustics vs. sample selection.
Pro Tools Corner:
- Comping with Playlists in Pro Tools 8
- Elastic Audio In Pro Tools – Part 1
- Elastic Audio In Pro Tools – Part 2
- Learning Synthesis with Vacuum
- Master Faders Demystified – Part 1
- Master Faders Demystified – Part 2
- Metering with DigiRack PhaseScope
- Mixing on AIR part 4: BF76
- Plug-in Delay Compensation in Pro Tools – Part 1
- Plug-in Delay Compensation in Pro Tools – Part 2
- Pro Tools Automation – Part 1
- Pro Tools Automation – Part 2
- Score! Working with the Score Editor in Pro Tools 8
- Slate Digital Trigger – Hands On
- The MIDI Editor